1. Meet with a guidance counselor or academic advisor to go over graduation requirements and set goals.
Meeting with a guidance counselor or academic advisor is an important step for incoming high school freshmen. This meeting should include a review of graduation requirements and setting goals for the upcoming year.
2. Create a 4-year plan and schedule of classes needed to graduate on time.
A 4-year plan should include a schedule of classes needed in order to graduate on time. This plan should be reviewed and adjusted as necessary throughout the four years of high school.
3. Select elective courses that match student interests.
Elective courses should be selected according to the student’s interests in order to create a well-rounded educational experience.
4. Get organized with tools like online calendars, apps, planners, etc.
Organization is key to high school success. Utilizing tools such as online calendars, apps, and planners can help students stay on top of assignments, exams, due dates, and other important deadlines.
5. Set up meeting times for tutoring if necessary.
If a student is struggling with a particular subject, they should set up meeting times for tutoring in order to improve their understanding of the material.
6. Familiarize yourself with high school policies, procedures, and expectations from teachers/staff.
It is important for incoming freshmen to familiarize themselves with high school policies, procedures, and expectations from teachers/staff. This includes understanding academic integrity, consequences for not following regulations and appropriate behavior in the classroom.
7. Research extracurricular activities such as sports teams, clubs, community service organizations, and volunteer opportunities.
Extracurricular activities are a great way for students to get involved and find their passions. Researching sports teams, clubs, community service organizations, and volunteer opportunities can help students explore different interests and develop new skills.
8. Develop study strategies such as notes taking methods or specific ways of studying for exams.
Having a good study strategy is essential in order to be successful in high school. Different strategies such as note-taking methods or specific ways of studying for exams can help students stay focused and achieve their academic goals.
9. Schedule regular check-in appointments with parents/guardians throughout the year.
Check-in appointments with parents/guardians should be scheduled throughout the year in order to discuss academic performance, attendance, extracurricular activities, and any other important topics.
10. Invest in the right supplies (notebooks, pencils/pens, laptop).
Investing in the right supplies such as notebooks, pencils/pens, and laptops will help students stay organized and prepared for class.
11. Manage stress levels by focusing on healthy sleeping habits and physical activity; find outlets like yoga or meditation.
Managing stress is essential for success in high school. Setting up healthy sleeping habits and participating in physical activities can help reduce stress levels while finding outlets like yoga or meditation can provide additional relief.