1. Design and condition of foundation / piers
Make sure the foundation is even and that the piers are all in alignment. Inspect for any signs of damage, such as cracks or bowed walls.
2. Improper pier shims
If the piers are not shimmed properly, this can cause the home to shift and become unstable over time.
3. Bent or damaged I-beams
I-beams help to support the weight of the home, so it's important to check for any signs of damage or wear.
Make sure the skirting is securely attached and in good condition.
5. Presence, condition and installation methods of hurricane straps or tie-downs
Hurricane straps or tie-downs help to secure the home in case of a storm or natural disaster. Check for their presence and make sure they are properly installed.
6. Water sealed seams on roofing, exterior wall sheathing and penetrations such as doors and windows
Seams that are not properly sealed can lead to water damage over time. Check for any signs of leakage and proper sealing techniques.
7. Improper wood-burning appliances, furnaces or stoves
Wood-burning appliances, furnaces and stoves can release harmful fumes into the air if not installed properly. Inspect these appliances for any safety hazards.
8. Presence of safety devices such as carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms
Carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms can help keep you safe in case of an emergency. Make sure they are properly installed and in working order.
9. Electrical wiring condition
Check all the electrical wiring for any signs of damage or wear. Make sure wires are properly insulated and grounded.
10. Condition of water heater, plumbing fixtures, sinks and toilets
Inspect all plumbing fixtures, sinks and toilets to make sure they are functioning properly and not leaking. Check the condition of the water heater and make sure it is in good working order.
11. Condition of air conditioning/heating systems
Make sure the air conditioning and heating systems are properly installed and in working order. Check for any signs of wear or damage.
12. Ventilation system - roof vents/exhaust fans
Check the roof vents and exhaust fans to make sure they are in good working order. Proper ventilation is important for the efficient operation of your home.
13. Flooring – condition, type and installation
Inspect the flooring for any signs of wear or damage. Make sure it is properly installed and that all seams are sealed.
14. Stairways – condition, type and installation
Check the stairways for any signs of wear or damage. Make sure they are securely attached and properly installed.
15. Condition and age of windows and doors
Inspect all windows and doors for any signs of damage or wear. Make sure they are properly sealed to help save on energy costs.