1. Certified copy of the birth certificate or valid U.S. passport.
To obtain a Real ID, an individual must provide a certified copy of their birth certificate (or valid U.S. passport) that states the individual’s full name, date of birth, and legal presence in the United States. If a passport is provided, the MVA will also need a copy of the individual’s Social Security card.
2. Social Security Card or other official document showing your full Social Security Number.
Individuals must provide their original Social Security card or an official document that contains their full Social Security number (such as a W-2 form). The name on the document must match the name on the certified copy of the birth certificate or valid U.S. passport.
3. Two documents that prove Maryland residency.
When applying for a Real ID, individuals must provide two documents to prove their Maryland residency, such as a utility bill, bank statement, lease agreement, etc., that are addressed to them at their current address in Maryland.
4. Proof of name changes (if applicable) through marriage certificates/divorce decrees or court orders.
If an individual’s legal name has changed since the certified copy of their birth certificate was issued, they will need to provide proof of such changes in order for their Real ID application to be accepted. This may include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order that reflects the individual’s current legal name.
5. Current driver’s license and any former licenses issued by another state.
Individuals who are applying for a Real ID must present their valid driver's license from Maryland (or other states if applicable). If applying by mail, individuals may need to provide copies of all of the driver's licenses they have held in the past.
6. Legal presence documents for non-U.S Citizens (if applicable).
Non-U.S citizens must provide proof of their legal presence in the U.S. when applying for a Real ID, such as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), Green Card, or valid Visa with an I-94 number and expiration date.
7. All current military IDs and discharge papers (for active duty service members).
Active duty service members need to present all of their current military IDs and discharge papers when applying for a Real ID card. These documents will be used to verify the military status and legal presence in the United States.
8. Payment for the application fee for the Real ID card.
There is a $25 processing fee associated with applying for a Real ID in Maryland. This fee may be paid by cash, check, or money order and must accompany the application when submitting it to the MVA.
9. Completed MVA real id checklist.
Individuals must ensure that all of the documents listed on the MVA’s Real ID Checklist have been properly completed before submitting their application. The information provided on this checklist will help to ensure that your application is processed correctly and quickly.
10. Return address information (if mailing in your application).
If you are mailing in your Real ID application, you will need to provide return address information so that the MVA can send your Real ID card to you. This should include a valid mailing address and contact telephone number.