1. Establish Your Business Structure.
Choose a business structure that best suits your needs, such as a sole proprietorship, limited liability company, or partnership.
2. Register Your Business.
Register your business with the appropriate local, state, and federal government agencies.
3. Obtain Necessary Licenses and Permits.
Find out which licenses and permits you need to legally operate your business.
4. Choose a Location for Your Business.
Decide if you will operate your business out of a home office or rent commercial space.
5. Create a Business Plan.
Outline your vision, mission statement, goals, objectives, and strategies.
6. Develop Sound Financial Strategies.
Create a budget, develop sources of financing, and plan how to manage cash flow.
7. Set Up Accounting System.
Purchase accounting software and hire an accountant to help you set up the system.
8. Determine the Services You Will Offer.
Develop a list of services that you will offer and decide how to price them.
9. Hire Employees or Contractors.
If needed, hire qualified employees or contractors to work for your business.
10. Market and Promote Your Consulting Services.
Identify your target market and develop a marketing plan to reach them. Develop an effective website and use other methods such as networking, cold calls, trade fairs, social media, etc. to promote your services.