1. Verify that your business is qualified to operate as a trucking company.
You will need to ensure that your business qualifies to operate as a trucking company. There are a few requirements, such as having the appropriate licenses and permits, and meeting certain safety standards.
2. Complete the application for motor carrier authority.
The application for motor carrier authority is a comprehensive form that asks for details about your business and operations. Be sure to gather all of the supporting documentation you will need to submit with the application.
3. Gather all supporting documentation for the application.
In addition to the application itself, you will need to submit a variety of supporting documents with your application. This includes financial statements, insurance information, and safety records.
4. Complete the financial statement forms.
The financial statement forms ask for detailed information about your company's finances. This information is used by the FMCSA to determine if you are financially capable of operating a trucking company.
5. Have an insurance agent review your liability coverage.
It is important to have adequate liability coverage in place before starting operations as a trucking company. Be sure to have an insurance agent review your coverage and make any necessary adjustments.
6. Submit all of your paperwork to the FMCSA.
Once you have gathered all of the required paperwork, be sure to submit it to the FMCSA for review. The FMCSA will carefully examine your submission and make a decision on your application.
7. Await approval from the FMCSA.
After submitting your paperwork, it will take some time for the FMCSA to review it and make a decision on your application. You will need to be patient while they do their due diligence.
8. Once you have been approved, register your trucks and drivers with the DOT.
After being approved by the FMCSA, you will need to register your trucks and drivers with the DOT. This process will ensure that everyone involved in operating your trucking company is registered and compliant with all applicable regulations.
9. You're ready to start operating as a trucking company.
Once you have taken all of the necessary steps, you will be able to start operating your trucking company. Be sure to follow all applicable laws and regulations to ensure a smooth and successful operation.